Is it legal for seperated spouse to use a checking account that is in the other persons name?

My wife and I are seperated, living in the same house, we have seperate checking accounts, but she is trying to use my account to pay her bills. I did not authorize the transactions, and do not wish to pay her bills. Is there anything I can do about it, other than contact my bank and change accounts?

Paul Edward Evans
Paul Evans
Family Law Attorney – Blue Springs, MO
Contributor Level 2
1 Lawyer agrees
The funds in the account will be considered marital property. However, if your spouse is not a signatory on the account, it would be fraudulent to sign your name without your permission. To address your concern, you would need an account in your sole and separate name. This will stop her from legally accessing the funds, but does not make the account non-marital.
Also, if your spouse is financially dependent upon you, you may have a duty because of the marriage for spousal support, medical support, or child support.

Paul E. Evans has practiced Personal Injury, Workers Compensation, Family and Domestic legal matters in private practice for twenty years.. He is presently Owner/Managing Attorney of BLUE SPRINGS LAW OFFICE, a Blue Springs, MO law firm ( He holds his JD with University of Missouri Kansas City School of Law and his BA with the University of Missouri Kansas City.
The foregoing is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Jackson County, Missouri
Independence, Missouri‎, Blue Springs, Missouri, Buckner, Missouri, Grain Valley, Missouri,Grandview, Missouri,Greenwood, Missouri, Independence, Missouri,Kansas City, Missouri,Lake Lotawana, Missouri,Lake Tapawingo, Missouri,Lee’s Summit, Missouri,Levasy, Missouri,Lone Jack, Missouri, Oak Grove, Missouri,Raytown, Missouri,Sugar Creek, Missouri